URGENT NEWS ABOUT APPOINTMENTS FROM 16th March 2020
Due to the evolving situation with Coronovirus (Covid-19) we have taken the decision to suspend ALL ROUTINE face to face appointments until further notice. We will be doing some TELEPHONE appointments instead. We will still be able to see you IF the clinician who assesses your case feels it is appropriate and necessary. Click HERE for our news page for further information. You may be directed to an alternative service.
Brand New March 2020. Get online with Airmid
Airmid is a new way of communicating with the surgery. With enhanced features like push notifications, video consultations and the ability to upload your own biometric data, we are bringing Charter Medical Centre into the 21st Century.
Click here to get more information on this exciting new develoment and watch 'how to' video guide
Do you need an appointment?
See the information below before making an appointment. Many requests and conditions don't need an appointment which will save you time!
Look at the following information before booking:
Help and Advice - advice and information to help you look after yourself
Sick Note - order them online
Continuity of Care
If you are making an appointment try to see the same doctor each time, particularly if it involves an ongoing or chronic condition, as they will know your case better. This is also important if a doctor orders tests for you. It is sometimes difficult to get up to speed with all of your past problems and latest results if the doctor hasn't met you and you will have a better outcome by seeing the same clinician where possible, even if that means waiting a few days.
PLEASE NOTE: From March 2020, due to Covid-19 coronavirus, only Telephone appointments are available to book online with a Doctor or Advanced Nurse Practitioner.
If you have set up an online account with TPP SystmOnline, click the link above to book an appointment online.
If you have set up an NHS App online account - use the NHS App to book an appointment online. You can set up an NHS App online account without attending surgery - the system allows you to verify your identity online.
Online Booking TIPS
- Doctors, Advanced Nurse Practitioners (ANPs), Nurse Practitioners (NPs) and selected Nursing Team appointments can all be booked online.
- It is helpful if you write a very brief description of the reason for your appointment but please note that this will be visible to surgery staff and you can write 'private' if you prefer.
- To book an online Telephone Appointment please continue reading.
- VERY IMPORTANT please see below to find out WHO to see for WHAT type of problem
- Please do not book appointments for 'Medicals', forms, letters etc - telephone reception as you will need to pay cash in advance & wait 1 week for this 'non-NHS' private work - some services have been suspended due to Coronavirus.
Booking via our 24 hour Telephone Auto-attendant
PLEASE NOTE: From March 2020, due to Covid-19 coronavirus, only Telephone appointments are available to book on Auto-attendant with a Doctor or Advanced Nurse Practitioner.
Telephone 01273 770555 and choose Option 1
Follow the prompts using just the buttons on your phone - no need to speak to a receptionist - press the buttons slowly and firmly - it may take a few tries for the system to recognise you.
Book an appointment straight away - no account needed
Doctors and Advanced Nurse Practitioners (ANPs) can be booked on our Auto attendant. Due to Coronavirus we have stopped booking of Cervical Screens, Childhood immunisations and Blood Tests using this system.
If you update your registered telephone number you will need to wait 24 hours before using the service.
VERY IMPORTANT please see below to find out WHO to see for WHAT type of problem
Please do not book appointments for 'Medicals', forms, letters etc - telephone reception as you will need to pay cash in advance and wait 1 week for this 'non-NHS' private work.
Click on the link below for some Auto Attendant TIPS
LATEST NEW March 2020: Telephone Appointments can now be booked and the system will ask you which number you want to use.
Book by Telephoning Reception
PLEASE NOTE: From March 2020, due to Covid-19 coronavirus, only Telephone appointments are available to book. Your Doctor or Nurse will speak to you and ask you to attend only if necessary.
Telephone 01273 770555, Monday to Friday 8:00 to 18:00
Choose Option 2 for reception, followed by Option 2 for appointments
NEW call back queue service now available
- Phone lines are answered Monday to Friday
- 8:00 to 18:00 (18:30 for urgent problems).
- It is helpful if you tell reception a short reason for your appointment but you can say it is private if you prefer
- NEW when queuing to speak to reception you will be given an option to hang up but keep your place in the queue - follow the instructions to have the surgery automatically call you back when you reach the top of the queue.
- Reception can also book you an appointment in the NHS Extended Hours Service
Touch Screen Booking-In
This has been turned off due to Coronavirus. Please check-in at Reception so that they can ask you screening questions.
Who to See For What Type of Appointment
Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Advanced Nurse Practitioner (ANP)
PLEASE NOTE: From March 2020, due to Covid-19 coronavirus, only Telephone appointments are available to book.
Advanced Nurse Practitioners (ANP) can diagnose, prescribe and refer and should be used like a Doctor
Except they cannot:
- Issue Sick Notes
- treat pregnancy related problems
- treat acute mental / emotion health problems
in these cases please book an appointment with a Doctor instead.
NPs and ANPs are NOT part of our Nursing team and must NOT be used for any of the routine Nursing Team appointments listed in the Nursing Team section on this page
Please also note:
Nurse Practitioner Jenny Lamper can ONLY be booked for Women's health problems such as Menopause and HRT, urinary and gynaecological problems. Jenny's appointments are not bookable online or on Auto Attendant.
PLEASE NOTE: From March 2020, due to Covid-19 coronavirus, please speak to a receptionist. Appointments may now be by Telephone or may be postponed.
When to book a member of our Nursing Team (NOT Advanced Nurse Practitioners or Nurse Practitioners*)
- Our Nursing Team includes Practice Nurses, Healthcare Assistants and a Phlebotomist (for blood tests).
- Some Nursing Team appointments are available to book Online and via our Auto Attendant.
- For other Nursing Team appointments it is essential to speak to reception staff. This is because different nurse appointments have different requirements for staff qualifications and length of appointment, and have specific patient instructions.
- Nursing Team appointments are usually available to book up to 6 weeks in advance and are available from early to late.
- You may also book a telephone appointment with a Practice Nurse, or you may leave a message for a Practice Nurse and ask that they call you back.
Click below for a List of appointments that should be booked with our Nursing Team
*except Elizabeth Wood NP who does work as part of our Nursing Team and can be booked for Nursing Team appointments.
Private Medical Examinations
Suspended due to Covid-19 Coronavirus emergency.
Medical examinations for special purposes such as pre-employment, fitness to travel, elderly drivers, fitness to undertake sports etc. will require longer than a routine appointment.
These examinations do not form part of NHS Services, you will be charged for any such examination. Please check the fee chargeable page here before arranging any such examination. Please inform the receptionist when arranging such appointments.
Annual Reviews of Long Term Conditions with our Nursing Team or Clinical Pharmacist.
PLEASE NOTE: From March 2020, due to Covid-19 coronavirus, only Telephone appointments are available to book. Your Nurse or Clinical Pharmacist will speak to you and ask you to attend only if necessary. Some annual reviews will be postponed.
Telephone our Annual Review line: 01273 224865
- If you have one or more Long Term Conditions you will be invited to book a single annual review with a Practice Nurse or our Clinical Pharmacist near your birthday.
- For some kinds of Annual Review you will be asked to make an appointment with a Health Care Assistant or Phlebotomist before attending an appointment with a Practice Nurse or Clinical Pharmacist.
- Please book your review by calling our dedicated review line 01273 224865 which is open 8:30 and 5:30 Monday to Friday.
- Annual Reviews cannot be booked Online or via our Automated Telephone system. This is because different reviews have different requirements for staff qualifications and length of appointment, and have different pre-appointment instructions.
Routine and Same Day Appointments
About routine and same day appointments with doctors and nurse practitioners (NPs) and advanced nurse practitioners (ANPs).
- Routine appointments can be booked up to 6 weeks in advance and are usually available within a few days (excluding weekends and bank holidays)
- Routine Appointments are available morning / lunchtime / afternoon / evening
- Both routine and Same Day appointments can be booked Online, via Auto attendant, or via Reception
- Same Day appointments open for booking from midnight
- Please only book Same Day appointments for problems which you think might be too serious to wait for a routine appointment in a day or two. We advise you to book Same Day appointments before 11am
- Before booking please think: 'Do I really need an appointment'? Have you tried Self Care and have you asked a Pharmacist for advice ?
- If Same Day appointments are full you will be offered an appointment with a Doctor in a Sit and Wait clinic. Patients in the Sit and Wait clinic will be seen in the order of clinical need so there may be a very long wait.
PLEASE NOTE: From March 2020, due to Covid-19 coronavirus, only Telephone appointments are available to book with Doctors and Nurses. They will speak to you and ask you to attend only if necessary.
- You can choose to make any appointment with a Doctor or ANP / NP into a Telephone Appointment if you book via reception or Online. And from March 2020 Telephone appointments can also be booked using our 24 hour Auto Attendant; the system will ask you which Telephone number you want to be called back on.
- If booking via reception, tell the receptionist you want a Telephone Appointment and give the telephone number you want to be called back on.
- If booking Online write “PHONE” and YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER next to the appointment.
- If you are booking on behalf of somebody you care for please ALSO write your name, your role, and your Telephone number.
If a slot online is called Telephone appointment it should ONLY be used for Telephone appointments - do not use it for an appointment in surgery.
- Remember that telephone appointments may sometimes run late, just like face to face appointments.
- Please only book single appointments– if you think you need longer please book via reception.
- Please note that, if Same Day appointments are full and you are booked into the 'Sit and Wait' clinic with our Duty Doctor, your Telephone Appointment may not be listed Online or on Auto-attendant. Duty Doctor Patients may be consulted in the order of clinical need so there may be a very long wait.
Blood Test Appointments
PLEASE NOTE: From March 2020, due to Covid-19 coronavirus, only essential blood tests are continuing. Reception / your clinician can advise which blood tests are continuing.
No longer available Online and on Auto-Attendant.
Charter Medical Centre Blood tests - Adults and Older children
- Blood tests for Adults at Charter Medical Centre can be booked via our Auto-Attendant, Online or via Reception. Blood tests must be requested by an NHS Doctor or Nurse. For older children who can tolerate a blood test without local anaesthetic please speak to reception who may be able to book an appointment with a Practice Nurse.
- For fasting Blood Tests eat nothing, and drink only water for 12 hours before your appointment. Continue to take your medication as normal.
Hove Polyclinic walk-in clinic - for over 16's only (must be ordered by Charter Medical Centre)
- For blood tests ordered by a Doctor or nurse at Charter Medical Centre, patients over 16's may also go to the walk-in Community Phlebotomy Service at Hove Polyclinic (Telephone 01273 265588). You will need to take a copy of your Blood Test Referral Form, available from reception. Please telephone the service for information before attending or click here: Community Phlebotomy Service. This service CANNOT do blood test which have been ordered by your hospital doctor or hospital nurse.
Royal Sussex County Hospital - walk-in clinic - for over 16's only (if ordered by your NHS Hospital doctor or Hospital nurse)
- For blood tests ordered by an NHS hospital, over 16's can also visit the walk-in blood test service at Royal Sussex County Hospital. Please telephone 01273 696955 for further information before attending.
Royal Sussex County Hospital - walk-in clinic - for under 16's who need blood taken from the hand with a local anaesthetic
- Young children who need blood taking from the back of the hand after application of a local anaesthetic cream will need to attend the Royal Alexandra Children's Hospital (please call 01273 696955 for advice about how to access this service) - you will need a copy of your Blood Test Referral Form, available from reception if the test was ordered by Charter Medical Centre.
Appointments with Trainees
Appointment with GP Registrars
Charter Medical Centre is a training practice for GP registrars.
A GP registrar is an experienced doctor who has decided to pursue a career in general practice.
The registrar is usually based in the practice for one year and is fully supervised by one of the doctors who has been trained to teach. You will be informed when booking your appointment if you are seeing the registrar. You may choose to see a GP rather than a registrar and this will not affect your consultation in any way.
The practice needs to be inspected for this purpose and this involves inspection of the medical records. Only doctors approved for this purpose will do this and they will respect completely the confidentiality of the information.
If you do not wish your notes to be subjected to a confidential review, please let us know in writing, addressing your letter to the practice manager.
Periodically during their training, GP registrars are required to video tape their consultations. This allows for analysis of their consultation skills. These videos are completely confidential and are viewed only by experienced trainers. You will be informed prior to seeing the registrar if a surgery is being recorded and you will be asked for your full consent to the recording prior to seeing the doctor. If you do not wish to be filmed, the camera will be switched off. This will in no way affect your consultation.
Click here to visit the Brighton VTS website.
Other trainee Clinicians & Students
Trainee Advanced Nurse Practitioners / Physician's Assistants /Paramedics
We are a training practice for Advanced Nurse Practitioners / Physicians Assistants /Paramedics . You may be offered an appointment with a trainee.
You will be informed when booking your appointment that you are seeing a trainee, and you may choose to see a different clinician if you prefer.
Trainees are supervised by Doctors and Advanced Nurse Practitioners.
Medical and Pharmacy Students
Medical and pharmacy students from Brighton University sometimes spend time visiting the practice.
As students, they observe consultations but do not treat patients.
You will be informed if a student is observing consultations and you may choose not to have one present when you see the doctor.
Cancellations & Reminders
Cancel an Appointment
Please let us know in good time if you cannot attend your appointment.
You can cancel via:
- Text reply to our appointment reminders
- Auto-attendant (if you have set up an account)
Text Reminder Service
We have a texting service which allows you to receive confirmation and reminders about your appointments.
To have this service you will need to register by completing a consent form.
Please remember to update your contact details with us when you change address, telephone numbers and email address.
Late For Your Appointment
Please attend your appointment on time, if you are late you may not be seen. If you are not seen you will not be able to rearrange your appointment until the next working day-except in the event of an medical emergency that requires immediate attention.
If you need an interpreter to come with you to your appointment please tell Reception. We use a professional organisation - the staff are tested in medical terminology and can be trusted to be discreet. Sussexinterpreting Services
Extended Practice Opening Hours
Surgery extended hours on Tuesday and Thursday evenings are suspended due to coronavirus.
For information about other local GP Extended Hours services click the GP Extended Hours link.
To request a home visit from a doctor telephone 01273 770555, choose option 2 for reception, then option 1 for home visits.
If you need to see a doctor but are unable to attend the surgery, please telephone before 11:00 on the day that you want the visit if possible.
Home visits are only for people who are genuinely housebound. This means people who, for medical reasons, cannot use private or public transport to attend the surgery.
Home visits are made at the discretion of the clinician. A clinician may telephone you first to decide if a visit is necessary. You may be visited by an advanced nurse practitioner (ANP) instead of a doctor.